St. Columba Church

In the Cambria City neighborhood of Johnstown, the local heritage foundation is working with local community leaders and residents to find new uses for three significant historic churches St. Columba’s, Ss. Casimir and Emerich, and Immaculate Conception that were closed in 2009 after five parishes were merged into one by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown. The Romanesque church of St. Columba, built on 1914, will be reused as the future theater for the performing arts and conference center with the goal to do the best to damage the minimum the architectural integrity of the building. At this scope the Sacristy area would become a green room/backstage area, the nave the floor will be sloped few feet in order to create a to create a stage and a sitting area, the altar painting will be preserved and more seating will added in the balcony presently used for the organ.